Monday, May 18, 2009

Sink difficulties

We are having issues with the sink. Actually, I guess the real issue comes from my design for the kitchen. Apparently, my design is using outdated items - namely, the kitchen sink. Humbly, I thought that I had a pretty good sense of style/design. Or, at least it was good enough to not turn anyone off.

So, in this kitchen, my thought has been white cabinets, black counter tops, white subway-tile backsplash. Since we have white appliances (that was a budget decision), I decided to stay away from stainless all together and make the design work with out it - regardless of how popular stainless is today.

With that in mind, only a white cast-iron sink made sense to me. What else would you put in there? Nothing else comes to my mind. I also would prefer to have just one big sink with no divider. That's what we had in our last house and I loved it! I really just don't see the need for a divided sink. It's a waste.

That would make the criteria for our kitchen sink: white, single bowl, undermount (meaning we would mount it from the bottom instead of dropping it in - it gets rid of that lip that just gets cruddy over time).

I don't know all the technical terms for sink materials. Cast iron, porcelain, composite, etc. It's all a little jumbled in my head. I just told D to get a white sink that looked like our last one. Job done. Right? Nope. This morning, he asked if I wanted to take a look at the sink before he handed it over to the granite guys to install for Tuesday (yes, tomorrow! I just might have a sink tomorrow!). Sure, I would look at it. Good thing I did! It was a composite sink. Not cast iron. If you don't know, composite is the type of material that I would use as a utility sink, not nice a pretty for the kitchen.

Well, that sent D back to run around and try to find a cast iron sink that would be okay for the budget and the timeline. Meaning, it had to be in stock. Come to find out, no body carries cast iron undermount sinks because they don't sell that often. Hmmm. Well, I guess I'm an odd-ball.

I did just get another call from D. Basically, we are going to be back on the microwave diet this week. We're going to have to order something else. Too bad. But, at least I'll get what I want. Or, as good as I can get. The pictures below are my options:



This is the sink that I want. Deep, single bowl, cast iron. Would look perfect in my kitchen and would function fabulously. It's the more costly option. Why? I don't know. I really can't figure out what makes something that seems simpler, more expensive.



This is the back-up option (read: budget). The reason I would be okay with this one is that they call it the "smart divide" where the divide is lower than normal and you can fit pot handles across it. Again, if you need a "smart divide" it would probably be better to have no divide at all, right? And, this one is some how less expensive than the one above. Sheesh.

No comments: